Monday, June 30, 2008

USA!! USA!! USA!! and Olympic Fever!

Hey everyone,

I'm so very sorry that I haven't written in awhile. Let's see if I can remember what I have been doing since I last wrote. So I'm going to just tell you what I have been doing of late. I don't know if I mentioned this before but I'm a huge women's sports fan!! Haha well if you didn't know that before you do now!

Anyway yeah I think the US women's soccer team freaking rocks but they don't always, okay they never get the respect they deserve. So my friend Colleen decided we were finally going to take a stand. She started an online petition to help spread the word about the women's team. Here's the link to the petition if you haven't signed it yet: www.petitiononline.com/USWNT920/petition.html

So first off, awesome job Colleen and you should feel special because I gave you a shoutout!! woot! Anyway these women of the US soccer team have been a team since 1985 and we have seen some different players through the years but one thing we can always count on with this team is the winning factor. Yes its true we haven't won in the last two world cups but we are growing into a new era of players. We are learning the new faces like Natasha Kai, Hope Solo, Lori Chalupny and many more. I believe that if we actually got this women on the television we would realize how awesome or should I say good they are. So please help join the cause of spreading the word about this team...they are as good as..well they aren't very advertised, but they are good and when we are done with our movement you will understand everything. It's not to late to become a fan...go to games near you, buy jerseys, make your own jerseys, email sponsors and tell them what you want to see when making commercials..tell them what you think..they will actually listen, I have gotten very postive responses. Also email tv shows like Ellen, Good Morning America, The Today Show, Rachael Ray or whatever tv shows you can think of. Plus if you have a facebook please join our group...the USWNT Support Movement Starts Here...here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12799639389
Lastly on the movement, we recently started a forum where fans can come and talk about the team or ways to help spread the word about the team. Here's the link: http://uswntsupportmovement.freeforums.org/ Come join everyone is welcome, but please bear with us because we are just getting it started.

Okay now onto some other stuff....The Olympics are coming up...YAY. I think they start on August 6th or 8th. I'm really excited about the Olympics this year, I have always enjoyed watching them but for some reason this year I'm really excited about it. I mean the Olympics is an event where all the athletics around the world display their unbelieveable talents. My favorite part is probably the opening and closing cermonies. But there is a bummer about this Olympics. The IOC, the International Olympic Committee has decided to eliminate the Softball program out of the 2012 olympics, hopefully they realize how stupid this decision is and bring it back in the 2016 Olympics. You can sign a petition on http://www.backsoftball.com/ take the time and sign it please, I play softball and hate to think that y favorite sport isn't going to be part of the Olympics.

2008 Olympic Roster named: Coach Pia Sundhage named the 2008 Olympic Roster. Nine players who competed on the 2004 Olympic roster were named and the other nine are 1st timers. Tobin Heath, Amy Rodriguez and Rachel Buehler are competing in their first ever world championships at the senior level.

GOALKEEPERS (2): Nicole Barnhart (Gilbertsville, Pa.), Hope Solo (Richland, Wash.)
DEFENDERS (6): Rachel Buehler (Del Mar, Calif.), Lori Chalupny (St. Louis, Mo.), Stephanie Cox (Elk Grove, Calif.), Kate Markgraf (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.), Heather Mitts (Cincinnati, Ohio), Christie Rampone (Point Pleasant, N.J.)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Shannon Boxx (Redondo Beach, Calif.), Tobin Heath (Basking Ridge, N.J.), Angela Hucles (Virginia Beach, Va.), Carli Lloyd (Delran, N.J.), Heather O’Reilly (East Brunswick, N.J.), Lindsay Tarpley (Kalamazoo, Mich.), Aly Wagner (San Jose, Calif.)
FORWARDS (3): Natasha Kai (Kahuku, Hawaii), Amy Rodriguez (Lake Forest, Calif.), Abby Wambach (Rochester, N.Y.)

Abby is 2 goals away from 100: If you follow women's soccer you know that Abby Wambach is two goals away from 100. This is an accomplishment that has been reached by a select few women, including US players like Mia Hamm, Kristine Lilly, Michelle Akers, and Tiffany Milbrett. Abby is going to reach the mark this year and possible by the next few games. Good luck to her!!

USWNT in Europe: The US women's team is currently in Europe getting ready for two matches against Norway and Sweden, they are played on July 2nd and the 5th. If you recall the team just got back from Korea after competing in the 2nd annual Peace Queen Cup. The ladies won the championship thanks to a big time goal from Angela Hucles in the 93rd minute against Canada.

USWNT vs. Brazil: Lastly the ladies are playing two more domestic games against Brazil in the United States before they leave for Beijing. First they play on July 13th then on the 16th, both games are on tv, the first game is on ESPN and the other is going to be on the Fox Soccer Channel. You can go to http://www.ussoccer.com/ to find out more information and schedule times for the games.

Candace Parker dunks..TWICE and I Expect Great: Last week LA Sparks Rookie Candace Parker dunked in a game actually she dunked in two games. It was the first time in six years that a women had dunked in the professional game, that being Parker's teammate Lisa Leslie.
Now I'm going to talk about those Expect Great commericals..at first I thought they were really corny but after seeing the new ones with Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi in it..I enjoy watching them with out feeling a little awkward. I certainly "Expect Great" and now I'm seeing it. Visit http://www.wnba.com/ to find out when you can catch the games.

Well I think that's it for now. I'm going to continuely keep you informed about the US in the Olympics and possibly about my crazy life. On Wednesday I'm leaving for camp so you won't hear from me until Sunday night. Everyone have a great Forth of July weekend and stay safe..btw both my parents were born on the 4th..how weird is that!!

Well peace out and remember smiles are free,
Corey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In regards to your mention of Olympic softball, I found a company that is supporting the efforts of Back Softball.

Their name is Ringor and they make softball cleats. They have made a limited edition softball cleat with an American theme. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Back Softball program.

You can see it here: American Spirit Softball Cleat